Family Attorneys in Greater Hartford, Connecticut
Family law covers all matters regarding matrimony, relationships and families. Spouses, couples, parents, grandparents, guardians and individuals – even children – may need effective representation from a family law attorney on various issues, including divorce, custody, child support and division of assets and obligations.
Because family relationships are deeply personal and often complicated, family law matters can become emotional experiences. Whether you're involved in a divorce proceeding or a battle over child custody, you need an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the complexities of family law cases as well as give you reassurance and personal attention.
Swerdloff & Swerdloff can work with you on a wide range of family law matters, including:
- Divorce/Dissolution of Marriage – The majority of our clients need assistance with their Connecticut divorce/dissolution of marriage. We are very experienced and qualified to assist in all dissolution of marriage actions including those relating to same-sex marriages. We are able to work in a collaborative fashion with other lawyers and can also act as mediators. When neither of these options resolves a case we are very experienced at litigating complex dissolution actions.
- Child Custody and Visitation – We have more than 35 years of experience in assisting parents to develop appropriate parenting plans including child custody arrangements and access schedules for non-custodial parents. We are also experienced in resolving complex issues dealing with child custody including parental alienation, relocation, and third-party rights which include the rights of grandparents. We are able to assist with custody issues whether or not the parents are or have been married to each other.
- Child support – We work with the Connecticut Child Support Guidelines, where applicable. We assist parents in obtaining and enforcing appropriate child support payments. In those cases where the statewide Guidelines do not apply or deviation is appropriate we work to find solutions for our clients.
- Division of Assets – Connecticut law provides for the equitable distribution of marital assets. The divorce courts are required to give consideration to the statutory criteria for distribution of assets as set forth in the Connecticut General Statutes. Legally all assets owned by the parties are available for distribution. We work to make certain that any distribution of assets is fair to our clients giving consideration to the length of the marriage, the source of assets, and all other appropriate criteria. We have represented clients with very substantial net worth often requiring division of numerous investments and businesses as well as other complex financial circumstances.
- Alimony and Spousal Support – The question of whether a party is entitled to alimony is based on factors set forth in the Connecticut General statutes. We help clients determine whether alimony or spousal support is appropriate. We also help clients seeking modification or reconsideration of their alimony arrangements where possible.
- Same-Sex Marriages – Connecticut is one of the first states to recognize same-sex marriages. The dissolution of a same-sex marriage raises all the same issues as that of an opposite sex marriage. We are sensitive to the needs of same-sex couples and are able to provide the same assistance as we are in opposite sex dissolutions of marriage.
- Other family law issues – Our firm is able to assist with additional Family Law matters including prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, adoptions, and cases of domestic violence.
Schedule a Consultation
If you need legal assistance, we can help. Contact us, Hartford County family law attorneys, or call us at 860.985.9424 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.