Connecticut Child Support: Income Calculation Lawyers

In Connecticut, every child of divorced or separated parents has a right to be supported by both parents. This is not a right that belongs to either parent. It is a right that belongs to the child.

At the law firm of Swerdloff & Swerdloff in Hartford, Connecticut, we will help you obtain the support your child needs and deserves under the law.

People often misunderstand child support. Many under-empowered spouses tell us that they don't want anything from their ex-husband or ex-wife. As your lawyers, we will help you understand that child support is not from your ex to you, it's from him or her to the children you share.

Some parties who pay child support feel resentment about paying child support to their ex-spouse. The law specifically provides that the money is not going to your spouse. It is going to the support of the children you share. But, it must go through your spouse because children aren't legally responsible for managing finances.

Guidelines under Connecticut law set forth the child support obligation of each parent under most income scenarios.

You can deviate from the Guidelines only under certain circumstances. You could pay more or you could pay less based on specific legal criteria that would allow you to deviate from the Child Support Guidelines.

Under the Guidelines, parents have an additional obligation to provide medical insurance benefits and pay for certain child care and unreimbursed medical expenses for their children.

Connecticut child support laws also cover college or other post-secondary education as an issue relative to but separate from child support.

You and your spouse can voluntarily agree to support the children you share through college or other post-secondary education. If you don't agree, the court can enter an educational support order if you are in a circumstance where it is clear that you would have been providing college support to the children you share if you had remained married to each other.

Often, the best course is to ask the court to postpone entering an education order until the children are ready for college.

You can seek modifications of child support following your divorce if your financial circumstances change substantially.

If you have a question or concern about a child support matter, we invite you to contact attorneys Mark and Ileen Swerdloff today.